Thursday, April 15, 2010

Another day, another dime

Since life here in the Midwest is always fairly quiet (unless we have a tornado or a flood), I've had time to take a few more pictures for your enjoyment.  This post marks a few of my favorite Kansas City spots, and the next one will be a bit more dark and macabre, as I got down close to the creek like I'd hoped and took a few of all those stones and dark flowing water.

One of the BEST places in Kansas City is The Dime Store in Brookside.  We used to go here on Saturdays when I was a wee one, and often I was allowed to pick out a toy.  The best part about the Dime Store: the creaky, slanted wood floors.  I'd joyfully hop from floorboard to floorboard just to hear the creaks.  And though the Dime Store has undergone some rennovation and is under new ownership, the floors live on!
Inside are various and sundry treasures you might never see anywhere else...
Even after all these years, they still have a respectable jokes and gags section.
And then, two wonderful local bookstores, and you know how I feel about local bookstores...
The first was Rainy Day Books in Fairway, KS...

(You have to respect stacks of Judy Blume books.)

And the second is just for kids...
...Reading Reptile in Brookside!


Before heading home, a stop at Topsy's.  A place that will change your views on popcorn forever.
Kansas Citians give one another these huge tins of popcorn as holiday gifts.  I bet there will be a museum for them one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails