Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Can't beat the harvest

I may have jumped the gun on the fallishness, as the last week or so in Colorado has been kind of warm...actually really warm.  But I can ignore it.  I can still wear a sweater when it's 87...mmm no.  But this weekend is supposed to be cooler and I just turned on my pilot light in the fireplace--exciting moments in life!  And we've been doing fallish things anyway....

First of all.  The Buffalo Bills.  Corey's favorite team on Earth roared in with three wins right off the bat and despite the loss last week, we still have hope (dangerous but essential for Bills' fans).

 We think that hanging the jersey on the mantel helps their performance immeasurably. (Don't worry, I take it down during the week.)


I also made tomato soup from scratch for the first time.  Grilled cheese/tomato soup is one of our favorite fall combinations but the cans and boxes always leave me wanting--a party in my mouth, but a party of extremely boring uptight people who don't eat chocolate or listen to music.  So I turned to honey and jam's recipe and things were much better in there.


 Shallots also go in the soup.  My favorite foodie Anthony Bourdain says that shallots elevate the home kitchen to a restaurant kitchen!  So when I burn toast I go find a shallot and wave it around in the kitchen to destroy the evil spirits.

 I've also been making my dad's famous "Junk Salad."  This is when you take all the leftover vegetables (celery, red and green pepper, onion, tomato) in your refrigerator, chop them up, sprinkle them with dried herbs, some Parmesan cheese, and douse them in balsamic vinaigrette and it makes your day seem not so bad anymore because you're eating your veggies and they're oh so good.


And the best part of fall so far is my mom sent me Pryde's coffee, just to tide me over...

Pretty nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails