Friday, November 11, 2011

Oh the colors of fall.  I have to admit my dreams have turned to turkey and mashed potatoes.

This year I've come to truly love three things that I used to hate: sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and sushi.  I didn't understand why one would choose the sweet potatoes when one could have the regular potatoes, tomatoes only excited my gag reflex, and sushi I was too closed-minded to even try.

But things have changed

Sweet potatoes diced up with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and oregano is my new go-to.

And roasted tomatoes basically taste like fresh ketchup.  Fancy! 

Here's a tasty recipe to put them in.  And while we're at it, a perfect crisp-fall-day soup recipe from the same blog.

(As for sushi, I leave that to the pros, but who knows, once Thanksgiving is over and those dreams have come true, my new dream might be sushi chef!)

But my favorite fall concoction is the Apple Yogurt cake.  It's best as a coffee cake, a morning cake, the thing you eat while you're still shivering from the cold night. 



And it has these craters in it--these beautiful sparkling brown craters of cinnamon and brown sugar, and a tiny bit of butter.  Those craters make life okay again.


So in this the season when things fall apart so they can rest awhile and then get bountifully back together again, strike a match to a candle and heat up the oven for a little light, a little warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails