Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In the mailbag

Ever heard of Powell's Books?  Well, I've never been there, but as a book/bookstore aficionado it's one of my "places to see before I die."  Others wish for the Scottish Highlands, India, Marrakesh...me, I just plan future trips to famous local bookstores.

Well, since I sometimes spend my evenings just browsing the Powell's website, I recently discovered that you can sell your old books to them online--send them to Powell's media mail for free--and get "virtual credit" added to your online account.  It was a no-brainer.  As much as I love reading, there are always a few that I don't like so much, and a few more that I know I'll never get around to reading, so I do occasionally part with some so that I can have a little cash to buy a few new ones.

My package from Powell's arrived today and I got three new books that I can't wait to dive into ("into which I can't wait to dive?"--the whole hanging preposition thing sometimes seems pretentious to me).  Plus I had an awkward few dollars left over so I decided to go for a Powell's pint glass to hold me over until I can actually go there and buy a tee shirt.

1. World in Half by Cristina Henriquez, 2. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie: A Flavia de Luce Mystery by Alan Bradley, 3. If You Follow Me by Malena Watrous


Also, the New Yorker illustrators are really wowing me this year with their designs--can't wait to dive into this one, as this week's fiction is by Joyce Carol Oates (that link is to read it online, if you like).  Squeel!




I love holding books and magazines in my hands, knowing there might be a great story contained therein.  I love opening the cover, the copyright page, the title page, the dedication page...eyes scan to find chapter one, and then, the first line.  Sometimes I have trouble getting into it, sometimes it starts off good but gets boring...and sometimes it's the beginning of something great.

1 comment:

  1. I love the list of books spilling onto your floor.Good ideas for my upcoming books to read. Don't take that list down, ok? It's an easy reference for me.Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails