Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Come along with me . . .

Promise you'll write me. Words always spoken at a crossroads, when we are saying goodbye, moving on for any given reason. There's such comfort in those words: the promise of a detailed true account from someone we care about. We may speak on the phone and exchange pleasantries, even share stories, but when we write to one another we tend to offer just a little bit more of ourselves. We share how we're really feeling, we get up the nerve to ask how the person on the other end is really feeling about something. We ask for advice, and offer some too. We wait for a response and afterward we feel relief at knowing. Just knowing, sometimes no matter the news, is a relief.

My blog is a promise to myself. A promise to write after many years of not writing. A promise to try after many years of refusing to try. I won't lie: the fear of failure is with me still. One of my favorite quotes is from G.K. Chesterton and I think it describes why I'm taking the leap despite my self-doubt:

Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die.


I hope that by documenting my journey through trying to become a published writer, I will be giving my readers a detailed true account of my experiences, and I know that that will include the story of me facing my fears.

I'll write every day and tell you what worked for me and what didn't. I'll ask advice of anyone who can help and offer some of my own. Maybe we can take this journey together. . .

1 comment:

  1. "Perhaps it would be better not to be a writer, but if you must, then write. If all feels hopeless, if that famous "inspiration" will not come, write. If you are a genius, you'll make your own rules, but if not-and the odds are against it-go to your desk no matter what your mood, face the icy challenge of the paper-write." ~ JB Priestly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails